Sunday, November 27, 2011

Whole hearted

I've found a new love, and her name is Brene Brown. The author of "The Gifts of Imperfection" is an amazing writer and amazing person. So I kind of have an intellectual crush on her. This week I'm starting her year long e-course titled "Lessons in Ordinary Courage." Someday I'll see her speak, of this I'm sure.

So what's new? And what's the same?

(I was going to make a list, but there's really only one new thing, which doesn't make for a real list.)

I have a yoga practice. After years of being intrigued with yoga, I now have an actual practice, which means I actually DO yoga several times a week. I love having a yoga practice for several reasons. It grounds me and this means real life stuff that used to leave me stressed and crazed (for example, cooking Thanksgiving dinner) is easier to do. In fact, my mother-in-law complimented me on how calm I was while everyone was needing everything in the last half hour before dinner. I'm more flexible (duh) now that I'm practicing 4 to 5 times a week. And I'm more aware of the body-mind connection now. (Don't really know how to explain that, but it's true, and I want to keep writing while the words are flowing.)

Lots is the same, and in some ways that's fantastic. Same wonderful husband. Same fascinating, infuriating, love 'em with my whole heart kids. I still run, but don't really add up the miles. I'm active most days, but rather than keeping the info on Facebook, I keep it on iCal on my computer (and may start logging it in the sidebar here).

So back to living a whole-hearted life, that's what I'm aiming for. And it takes courage and doing things differently. So yesterday when I talked to my dad and my emotions were all over the place, I told Tim I needed to stay home and exercise, rather than go with him to pick up a purchase. Plus I actually told him about the conversation with my dad that left me feeling frightened and stressed.

That's it for now. Tim and I take a yoga class on Sunday mornings at 9:30 and it's time to get ready. Often the teacher asks us to set an intention for our practice. Mine, as usual, will be to live from my whole heart.

2 comments:

Irene said...

Sorry if my comment shows up twice, but I got a weird error message and I don't think my message went through!

I really like the concept of living life whole heartedly. What a wonderful thing to strive for. You made me stop and think.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous said...

Well it's not my business to pry into what things make you feel fightened and / or stressed, but I will say that you do have what it takes, to be able to take on anything that comes your way.

Whatever age may have possibly taken away, it has given you greater emotional capability and human capacities because of your lifes experiences.

One thing you can do is continue to believe in the power of YOU and remember that you ARE a very able and capable person and you can be so much to others around you.

It's great to see you doing so much and proving so much and I am proud to see someone like you continuing to prove what life can mean and being a brilliant rolemodel for the older female and continuing to be a true Lady and a real inspiration to others.

In my mind you are still that wise head on young shoulders and I don't doubt that you DO make the lives of those around you, feel more worthwhile and you have every right to be proud of who you are and how much you've achieved and succeeded with in your life.

Keep believing, chin up, keep smiling and be strong, because whatever happens in the coming weeks, good or bad, I know you will be able to cope and you won't let anyone down including yourself.

You've done superbly well in your life to be who you are now.

WELL DONE you are an amazing individual and your father is lucky to call you a daughter.

:-) :-).

Matt