Thursday, February 18, 2010

Random yoga thoughts

I have been doing yoga consistently (meaning 3 to 5 times per week) since January 1st. That, my friends, is a miracle. For decades I've wanted to be the KIND of person who did yoga (translation = calm, flexible, beautiful) without having to actually DO yoga. I tried a few classes over the years, and I could not get my head to shut up. (The talk went something like this: "This pose is stupid. Why do we have to hold it so long. I'm bored. I can't do this as good as everyone else.")

Well, something's shifted, and I now can say that I do yoga. (insert smiley face here!) Here are a few thoughts about my practice:
  • Going to yoga classes at an actual yoga studio was a very good thing for me (and continues to be a good thing). The environment is much calmer than the gym.
  • Doing DVDs at home works too, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Eoin Finn.
  • My hips don't hurt like they used to now that I'm doing hip opening poses!
  • (Since Katie asked) I've tried Bikram Yoga before and I really liked it. But I don't choose to do it for several reasons. First (and foremost) the Bikram place is 20 minutes away from my house. So to do a class (which is 90 minutes) takes at least 2-1/2 hours including driving there and back, and cleaning up afterwards. Also I really like music in yoga classes and Bikram classes are no music classes. Finally, every Bikram class is the exact same series of poses, and I like more variety.
  • I'm finding that I move with more ease as my flexibility increases. The yoga and running combo is a good one. :)
  • Meditation is the other practice I've started this year, and I've gone from 3 minutes (which was all I could do when I started) to 10 minutes each time. I think the meditation has helped quiet the thoughts that got in the way of yoga classes in the past, and the two habits seem to support one another. And I view each as a PRACTICE which means there are no expectations of performance, even of improvement from one day to the next, as each day is different.

7 comments:

Irene said...

I need to follow your lead and do yoga at an actual yoga center or studio. It sounds like it was good for you.

PS
I've tagged you on my blog! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh yes - going to a real yoga studio is the way to go. "Gym" yoga doesn't feel like "real" yoga to me. You know what? I hadn't even missed the music at Bikram. LOL!

Shelly said...

Although I haven't been consistent, I started taking yoga classes (at the gym) and I am also finding them to be a perfect complement to my other activities. Glad you are making the time to do this for yourself!

Anonymous said...

I go in phases where I do it a lot -- and see results from it -- to getting bored and not doing it. Then I wonder why I hurt in certain places. Duh. If I kept doing it I wouldn't hurt.

Right now I'm liking it and I'm so close to doing a month at the Elk Grove Bikram before I leave on my trip.

Anonymous said...

It's good to know that you found something you liked.

Take care and best wishes.

:-) :-).

Matt

Anne said...

Those are some good thoughts. I too am drawn to the meditative aspect and always always leave a yoga class in a much better frame of mind and feeling more "fluid." I'm glad it's helped you too.

kchealy said...

You're my idol! I need to make the time to get back into yoga. And, I started out the year trying to meditate a few minutes a day but fell off that wagon. You've inspired me to try to get back on!