Friday, June 11, 2010

Learning...

It's Friday! We're heading to San Francisco for some fun stuff, namely going to the Giants game tonight, and then running in The Giant Race in the morning. Tim and Tucker are running the 5K and I'm doing the half marathon. I hope the medal is a good one!

So I'm still kinda doing The Belly Fat Cure, but not exactly. I spent a little too much money on Belly Fat approved products (all things I'll use up, but none were necessary). But doing BFC has gotten me to start eating meat again. And with the willingness to eat meat, I can now consider the plan that makes the most sense to me: The Primal Blueprint. There is so much to love about this plan, both the eating and the exercise thoughts.

(do you ever feel like you can't quite get the words to flow? that's what I'm feeling right now. I should probably stop writing, but I press on...)

So the current eating plan is based on moderation in all things, with an emphasis on keeping grain carbohydrates to a minimum. I've lost a few pounds this week (hooray!) but even better is that my body looks and feels tighter and lighter. So I'm spending some time over at Mark's Daily Apple learning about what he has to say about being healthy, the Primal way.

On the fitness side of things, I've been exploring some old DVDs -- ones that I own but have never tried. I did a Tracie Long Training lower body DVD the other day and LOVED some of the moves. Watched and played along to a Synergy Fitness Core Salvation DVD. It's always great to watch exercise videos, as I learn more that I can use myself and share with my clients, a win/win to be sure.

Yesterday's workouts were my favorites though! In the morning I hiked the Auburn trails with a friend. In the afternoon I put on my Vibram Five Fingers and took my rope and a couple of kettlebells to the park. Then I spent 30 minutes doing this:
  • push ups
  • one arm rows
  • burpees
  • skipping
  • kettlebell swings
  • kettlebell clean and press
  • kettlebell snatches
  • lunge walking
  • crawling
  • side shuffles
  • sprints
  • rope drags
  • rope waves
Having the VFFs on meant I could feel the grass under my feet and that made me feel very playful. And the whole time felt like play. Was it easy? No. But was it fun? Absolutely! Note that skipping and crawling are WAY tougher than one might think. :)

6 comments:

ColeC said...

I think it is so great that as a family you workout together. Rob would love for me to lift weights with him, but for some reason I don't. Enjoy the city and the run.

Isn't it so fun when we re-visit old DVD's? I remember when i did that and so enjoyed them. Also keeps things fresh on the workouts.

Taking the workout to the park...I need to get over caring what others may think and do the same. Sounds so refreshing. You inspire me, Leslie

leslie said...

Colette -- Come to the park with me once I'm back from vacation. I will teach you to "dance like no one is watching" so to speak!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear all about the race!!! Hope you have a great time and that the medal is worthy!!! You deserve a good one after not getting one in Folsom.

(I'll be rooting for the As.)

Anonymous said...

I'm saying nothing much about those five finger things. Incase I get arrested :-p.

I just don't rate them that's all.

I'm really glad things are going well for you.

Take care and best wishes.

:-) :-).

Matt

Diana said...

Now THAT's a great looking workout!
Like seeing that word "kettlebell" included in there!!!
I have to give that rope stuff a try!

Shelly said...

Good luck on your half.
Love making up workouts (playouts?) in the park. You're working with those big fat ropes? I would love to play with those! Keep up the good work.