Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Leg art


Courtney asked about my leg art. Back in the old days (2 years ago before my parents and teens started getting the best of me -- but that's another topic) I started drawing on myself before long-ish runs. My drawings were always the same -- a very simple swirling line/vine from my hip to my ankle with flowers scattered along the way.

What inspired me? The tattoo I'd love to get. What I'd love is colorful vines and flowers starting at my hip and ending at my ankle, running all down the side of my leg. Wouldn't that be GREAT as a runner?!?! So why don't I get it? Mainly because I'm not really a tattoo person. Well, in my heart I am, but on the outside I'm a somewhat conservative pushing-50 wife and mom. So I admire the heck out of other people's tattoos, but I just don't think it's for me.

So I draw on myself. I use a permanent Sharpie marker, which is probably filled with toxic chemicals, but oh well. I find that this works best if I don't use lotion before drawing. And it doesn't last much beyond the post-run shower, because the sweat from the long run seems to push the ink off.

Thanks for the writing inspiration, Courtney!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your leg art!!!

Anonymous said...

"which is probably filled with toxic chemicals, but oh well"

Sheesh :-o :-o.

I don't really like the idea of Tatoos anyway. You'd end up getting them surgically removed, because when people are 70+, the old skin makes Tattoos look a bit rubbish, then you're potentially left with skin scarring after surgery.

Glad you're doing fine.

Take care and best wishes.

:-) :-).

Matt

courtney said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it! =)

That would be an awesome way to stay motivated during a tough run!

Stacey said...

I agree with Irene... Fantastic idea!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Just catching up... I love it! I'm not sure I'd get a tattoo either, but have admired some, and thought about it. this is awesome though!