Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Sugar Blues

One more time, I get to learn the lesson of sugar and my mental health. I haven't been writing because I've been in a buttercream -induced emotional low spot. Tim tried. He offered to take my cake into the office the day after my birthday. But darn it, it was MY birthday cake. And I ate the very last slice of it on Saturday afternoon.

My hope is to someday manage sugar better. Sometimes I do. That's what makes it so difficult to handle. If EVERY SINGLE TIME I ate refined sugar I broke out in hives, you'd better believe I'd never eat it. But if it happened only sometimes? I don't know...

Enough said. I hope I don't revisit this topic for a long time.

In other news, we spent the weekend at kids sports events. Tucker had his first Tae Kwon Do tournament, and he did really well, taking 1st in the sparring competition out of 13 kids. It is evident that gymnastics prepares you for whatever sport you choose to do -- anything at all! On Sunday Austin had his second gymnastics meet, and took 1st in parallel bars, 2nd in pommel, and 7th place all around, which he's very happy about.

On to cooking dinners. Things are going better in this department, and what's made the difference is a white board that I mounted in our pantry. I have the days of the week across the top, and I'm writing down, sometimes 2 or 3 days in advance, what we're having for dinner. I also have an area for dinner requests (the request list currently reads "the good coleslaw", parmesan chicken, spicy veggie medley, and sloppy joes) and another area for grocery store requests. Thanks Erica for the idea! (Note -- that's Erica's list in the picture -- great job E!)

Next subject? Training clients. I've been "officially" training clients for more than a year now, and all I can say is that I LOVE IT! There are many reasons why, ranging from my fascination with all things fitness related, to my admiration for anyone who is moving towards a goal (so by definition, I love my clients). What I love the most, though, is hearing about benefits gained from training. Here are two recent comments:

"Snowboarding is a million times easier now that I'm strong enough to get up after falling!"

"My range of motion is so much better. Even when I'm holding a bale of hay, I can squat and pick something up from the ground!" (This from a client talking about feeding her horses in the morning.)

Yes, the scale giving you a number you like is exciting, as is fitting into clothes that didn't used to fit. But don't overlook the ease that comes with being strong and flexible. Just another reason for us all to eat right, train hard, and never quit, right? Right!

6 comments:

KatieFeldmom said...

For our preschool field trip today, we went to Byers Gymnastics on Mack Rd. I thought of you and all of the time that you've probably spent in one of those places. We had a great time.

Regarding working out -- I love that I was the mom in the foam pit, lifting all of the kids out of it after they had jumped. The only mom. Actually, the only parent who volunteered!

Anonymous said...

However some people possibly start to think they're going insane I bet, when you perhaps tell them about increased stength, and flexibility, and most days they get up feeling like a plank of wood :-p.

Though I doubt most people tell trainers that, incase it makes teh trainer want to increase the difficulty.

Plank of wood, Damn it you should be feeling stiff as a brick. I'm clearly doing something wrong. Right from now on more Reps, and smaller set breaks for you woody.

I said to a guy once who looked a bit worn out from training, I said don't worry, you might crawl out of here on your Hands and Knees, but you'll wake up tomorrow feeling like a new man, or maybe King of the hill.

He said new man, I hadn't thought of it like that, I hope you're right, and started laughing.

You're an inspiration to many, and an incredible physical person, and you should be so proud of yourself for everything.

WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-) :-).

Matt

Anonymous said...

I SO used to have a sugar addiction. Somehow, miraculously, I'm over it. I used to be a 2 candy bar, 2 Pepsi a day girl. I'm far from that now. Don't know what happened. But I sure can relate.

The dinner thing looks great!! I SO need to start cooking again. Training is just taking first precedence at the moment.

The comments you're getting from your clients are so great! I feel the same way too. It's so great to be able to run up my basements steps now, when a few months ago, I was breathing hard just walking them!! Whoo-hoo for fitness!

ColeC said...

I LOVE that dinner idea. I will be taking that idea and putting up a whiteboard in my pantry as well.

Glad you're back and feeling better. Some people just have a hard time with the sugar thing, whethere it's mental (guilt for eating it) or not, it's still tough for some. This probably won't be the last time for this to happen, but hopefully it gets noticed faster ;)

The last cliet you mentioned...is it possibly someone I know?? She sounds familiar. I am so happy that you are doing what you love. I can't believe it has been one year already! Wow! And how about your kids...great job!!!

Pamela said...

Love the idea of the white board.. hmmm might just borrow that! :) Yay you on changing peoples worlds :)

ColeC said...

Just stopping by to see if anything new has been posted...nope