Friday, April 06, 2007

Good things

1. After a completely discouraging Wednesday where my kids couldn't find a single thing they liked about each other, which made me want to turn in my mom badge and run away, yesterday was a good day.

2. I've found an amazing deodorant. Much as I wish I was one of those s who "glows" when she exercises, that's just not me. When I saw the ads for Secret Clinical Strength I decided to give it a try, and it works!

3. My 11-year-old client is doing great. In fact, her mom told me that her friends and family are noticing that she's losing weight. I am SO proud of her! And I've found a great way to train her -- we work out together. No, this isn't a way for me to sneak in some more activity, I promise! But the "you do pushups, then I do pushups" strategy really seems to work. Lots of laughter, lots of fun.

4. The class at Whole Foods was really good. (Greg -- I can't believe you almost went to that class and live there. That's where I grew up, and my parents are still over by Rio!) The instructor was vegan and eats almost 100% raw, but was NOT a freak about it, which was so very nice! She talked about enzymes in our food and why it's important to eat as much raw food as you can. Based on her recommendation, I tried soaking my raw almonds (to remove the bitter brown coating that denatures their natural enzymes) and plan to keep doing that. And I'm becoming more aware of eating fruits and veggies. If only I didn't have a nagging suspicion that Diet Mountain Dew is probably not full of enzymes and recommended in a whole-foods diet!

5. Bodybugg is still going well. After a week of averaging an 800 calorie deficit per day (eating around 2000, burning 2800 - 3000), my waist is more defined, thighs are leaner, and I'm feeling a little tighter all over. But my weight had not changed a bit. So I decided (after reading several blogs where people are doing this) to try a fiberous carb day yesterday. It was hard, but doable. Calories were right around 1300 and carbs were under 100 g. I didn't die of hunger. And the scale was 3 pounds lighter this morning. Which proves that so much of our weight is based on the water we hold. It was nice to see a dramatic scale change, but since I just had 1/3 of a cup of oatmeal, and plan to drink lots of water (as always) today, I'm sure the low weight won't last. Maybe I should have taken a picture...

6. Speaking of pictures, I WILL take pictures in Mexico and post them.

7. Matt, your comment just cracked me up! I plan to tell each and every client that my workouts come with the "Brit-man seal of approval!"

8. I got to talk to Eileen! We email back and forth when blog posts and commenting aren't enough, and last night we got to talk. I called during the worst possible time for a mom -- late afternoon when the kids are usually hungry and tired -- so shame on me, because I knew it might not be ideal. But we got a few minutes on the phone, and it was just so nice to hear her voice -- hooray!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're an awesome Mum Leslie, so don't ever think differently for a second. Your children are growing up well rounded, grounded, and just fine, and that's partly down to you, and the wonderful way you use your human qualities, and big Heart, to help guide them through life.

Thye are so lucky.

At the same time though, you're only human and can't be expected to work miracles, or always do and say the right things, that's life, but as long as you keep believing in yourself, and never deviate much off the ways and means, you use to bring up your children, your input will always be very worthwhile, and that's what matters.

One day, they will be proud of you, for who you are, as you should be too. It's not easy to have made it to 46, and done the things you've done / achieved, and they've all made you who you are, and that's a great thing, and you being you, is something you've every right to be proud of.

You won't fail anybody, not yourself, or your children.

You're a wonderful person Leslie, and every person who comes here, appreciates that, and appreciates what your words and support mean.

It's all good :-).

Keep being you, keep pushing for all your hopes and dreams, and hold that majestic chin up high.

You deserve to, and at this stage in life, you're getting more of the rewards you've earned, and good for you.

I'm always happy for you, and I know your future is going to be amazing.

Best wishes.

:-) :-).

Matt

Irene said...

Isn't being mom a joy? ;) I'm sure they love each other, they just havea funny way of showing it.

I'm so impressed that your workouts with your 11 year old client are going so well! That's a tough age, but it looks like you're really helping her out and I'm sure her self esteem is going through the roof!

Good to know about the deoderant. I'll have to give it a try.

I didn't realize that Whole Foods had classes! I'll have to check it out.

Happy Easter!

KatieFeldmom said...

So happy about the 11-year-old client. I bet she is having just as much fun as you too.

Love hearing about the BodyBugg do don't stop talking about it.

Have a great weekend!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Leslie, I routinely use the "I go, you go" mentod with my KB clients! I love it because it creates alot of energy and clients feel more on your level.

Last year before the April KB cert I started to experiment with raw foods. In fact I considered going all out raw! But I needed to get those lase 2 pounds off before the cert and I credit my one raw meal a day with helping me do that. That's why I almost always (99%) have a salad everyday. And my salads easily have 4-8 different veggies and weigh 12-16oz!! (of veggies).

The other reason I always include raw veggies are for elimination, I know alot of people don't like to talk about that, but what ever goes "in", better come "out" efficiently!!

Jen said...

Leslie -

I didn't know you were training an 11 year old client. You may have stumbled on a niche for yourself. I doubt there are many personal trainers who target overweight kids. You would be perfect for counseling the parents and encouraging the kids.