Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Workouts can save you

Yesterday was a tough day. Some of the highlights:
  • Started the day feeling emotionally "off"
  • Was ready to leave and do some things I needed to do, when kids friend stopped by. Being me, I let him stay for 3 hours and never got my stuff done.
  • New washer spewed water all over laundry room floor.
  • Emptied espresso maker grounds all over the kitchen floor by accident.
  • Stepped in discarded gum on the street -- a BIG piece.

One way I can tell I'm not doing so good is when I'm breathing "fuhhhhh..." a lot. Another indicator was when I brought the garbage can in and repeatedly kicked it as hard as I could. What could I do? Ahhhhh -- sometimes exercise helps, right?

So upstairs I went and did a 20 minute butt-kicking workout. I did 1 minute of work, 30 seconds of rest, and kept the intensity high with kettlebell swings, squats, pushups, etc. After 20 minutes things weren't perfect, but I was certainly better than I was before the workout.

P.S. I intend to respond to comments soon. Chantal2bfit asked about kettlebells, though, and I thought I'd try for a quick answer here. Yes, kettlebells can be used at home very successfully. If I were starting out with kettlebells, I'd try to find someone locally who could teach me how to use them. If I couldn't find a local resource, I'd go to No Fear Fitness and learn as much as I could from the exercises listed there. I'd buy an 8K (18.6 pounds) kettlebell if I could only buy one. And I'd work on two-hand and one-hand swings and front squats.

That's all folks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope hings stabilise soon Leslie, I know how sometimes little things can come in two's, three's fours etc etc.

You are still doing amazingly well with everything, so chin up and GOOD LUCK :-) :-).

Matt