Saturday, June 21, 2008

Alooooo-ha!

Greetings from Hawaii!!! I'm sitting on a balcony overlooking the ocean, taking a moment to jot down some vacation thoughts. Hawaii is truly one of the most beautiful places on the earth and we are loving it! We've spend the last two days in Lihue and rarely left the hotel -- with a protected harbor, ocean waves, and lots of sun, what more could we need?

We've stayed active so far. Both days Tim and the kids joined in on some beach volleyball games, and they convinced me to play too. So I've gotten some lessons in humility (nothing looks stupider than when you're going for a shot and the sand prevents you from getting there in a BIG way), and some lessons in self-talk. Because of my un-athletic background, I was really fearful about playing. So what ran through my mind with every play? "Don't eff up!" Not exactly positive or helpful, right? By the end of my volleyball time, the internal conversation was "Make a contribution!" -- a big change, don't you think?

I've gone running both days and it's interesting how you start sweating immediately when you're running in humidity. Between running and volleyball and swimming in the ocean, all of us got a bit too much sun yesterday, so I think we're keeping today a less-sun day (but not a sun-less day!). And I think I've started my own personal tradition of ending each day by savoring one perfect milk chocolate macadamia nut candy bar -- YUM!!!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

So glad to hear you're having fun, Leslie! Humidity does make a difference, makes the air a little different to breathe, too, doesn't it? Don't forget you've changed--you ARE athletic now! Now get out there and play some ball! Can't wait to see the pics.

Anonymous said...

Nice to see ou having a good time.

Take care :-) :-).

Matt

Sandy said...

Enjoy your vacation! It is wonderful to hear that you are all having such a good time.

Did you pack your kettlebells? (HAHA)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are having a good time. That self talk can be a killer. Must think: "Kids LOVE having me here playing with them, whether I suck or not!" HUGS!