Saturday, May 06, 2006

Two Jennifer Aniston movies

Yesterday I did something I've never done before: I went to a movie while the kids were in school. I needed to get some rest (still under doctor's orders to take it easy, which I don't do well), and I thought that sitting at a movie would be a good choice. To make things even better, Jenny, my multi-marathon friend, called just as I was leaving, and when I asked if she wanted to join me, she said yes!

We saw "Friends With Money" and I loved it on so many levels. Some of the reviews said it was a film about nothing, and I suppose that if you need a neatly presented ending, or a typical "characters, problems, more problems, solution" formula, maybe it's not the movie for you. But I found it to be thought-provoking on the biggie subjects like friendship, aging, marriage, choices, honesty. And speaking of honesty, at times the movie's dialog was so incredibly honest that I felt as though I was intruding on the characters' lives, and should apologize or something. In short, I loved it.

Well, it's almost 11:00 pm now, and I've just bailed on "Derailed." Tim rented it last week, and we decided to watch it tonight. He knew nothing about it, and all I knew was that it was dark. Well, in case you haven't seen it .... well, I don't know how to say when I stopped watching, but I'm sure there's a good part of the movie left, and I just can't handle it. I know it's a movie. I know it's just a made-up story. But the intensity and the angst -- well, I just can't do it. Interestingly, however, every October I love to watch "Scream" or "Halloween" or another of the really great horror movies. But the real life "holy shit, this really could happen" stuff? Not for me so much.

2 comments:

None said...

I want to see "Friends With Money." I may go myself this week.

I saw "Derailed" when it came out. The only positive thing I can say about that movie is that Jennifer Aniston looked absolutely incredible. The funny thing about her is she is not a classic beauty. She's a cute girl. But she sure knows how to play up all her positive features.

The ending of the movie has a little twist...

Shelly Egan said...

I hear you... I am finding there are more and more movies that throw me for a loop anymore. I get paranoid when I watch the scary ones, and I hate how I feel when it is over.... I have to watch myself in that. And - luckily, Ed and I are more often than not on the same page with things. Awww... 2 become one! : ) Whoda thunk dat would ever happen? hah!