Tuesday, August 29, 2006

So much to say, so little time!

Guess what I'm doing in about 30 minutes? Working with my first client! I've had several people say, when they find out I'm studying to be a trainer, "I'll be your first client." This friend took it one step further, though, and set aside time for us to go to the gym. Do I feel ready? Heck no! But I was up at 6:00 writing out two different weight workouts, some nutrition suggestions, and a more intense cardio workout than what she's doing now (steady state, low intensity, and it's not getting her anywhere). Wish me luck!

Let's talk about sex

Sex is one of the reasons I want to be a trainer. I've known for a long time that I want to work with women, particularly women in my demographic -- married, kids, juggling too many responsibilities. My hope is that through working out, women can feel strong and confident in a way that permeates all areas of life, including life in the bedroom. I'd love it if through working out, a good marriage can be even better because of the confidence that comes from getting into shape. I don't know about y'all, but when I feel dumpy and thick, and my confidence is down, the last thing I want is for my husband to see me nekkid, ya know? Also, when you're taking care of your body, all systems work better, including the system that regulates desire. More fitness = more sex. (Maybe THAT should be my business name!)

Another thought about sex and training is this: I think, generally speaking, men should train men, and women should train women. The line between working out and sex is blurry at best. When you workout with a trainer, they're in your personal space, sometimes really close. There's sweating and intensity and sometimes even sounds as you struggle to eek out those last few reps. And having someone focused on you, really focused, for an entire hour creates an intimacy that's very appealing. So I think it's safest for the genders to not mix it up in training. Of course, if you train in a gym, it's not private, so that's good. And I'm not saying that you should never workout with someone of the opposite gender. But I'm only going to train women.

It's time to get my son to junior high, and then I'm off to the gym to train my girlfriend. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You did not waste any time becoming a good one!

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK!!!

Jen said...

Jen was here :)