Monday, May 12, 2008

Trying something new -- KALE

I've heard forever about the benefits of dark green leafy vegetables. And until recently I've been willing to eat salad nearly every day, using the darkest lettuces I can find. But I've not ventured past lettuce in my greens shopping (and I don't even know if lettuce is considered part of "greens"). Anyway, I've been re-listening to the "Vegetarian Food for Thought" podcasts, specifically the ones about food. And I decided to try steaming kale, because Colleen says it's so delicious. And Tracy Reifkind's writings about her love of kale also helped to propel me into action.

Well, they are both right -- kale is delicious! Yesterday I pulled out my steamer and grabbed some kale. I cut it almost like you'd cut Romaine lettuce for a Caesar salad, put it in the steamer basket, and let it cook for about 10 minutes. That's it. It was mild, almost sweet, and would adapt well to any flavor you put with it. (Colleen says she adds some apple cider vinegar and a little olive oil.)

Instead of eating it on its own, though, I mixed the kale with some chickpeas and used that as the base for my taco salad last night. Tim and the kids had the chicken I'd cooked up for them and then mixed in iceberg lettuce (for the crunch), tomatoes, queso fresco, and salsa. Mine was the kale and chickpea base, then some tomatoes, salsa, and a little queso fresco, and it was DELICIOUS!

(There's still some steamed kale in the fridge -- let me try a little experiment here. Back in a sec...)

Darn it! Tim ate the rest of the kale. (I guess that's actually a good thing, right?) I was going to try it with ACV and see how it was. Maybe later today...

No comments: