Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Melange!

  • Eating Healthfully in a Recession: 5 tips I'm so excited about this podcast! It's the latest episode of my all-time favorite podcast, Vegetarian Food for Thought. Colleen is one of the best podcasters around, and I eagerly look forward to each new episode. I haven't yet listened to this new episode, but I'm sure it will be as informative as the rest. I urge you to go to iTunes and check it out!
  • 3 fast miles Yesterday in a departure from my usual training, I ran 3 fast miles. First mile was 8:05, second was 8:10 and third was 8:25. I also did AOS Providence. Today? Sore legs baby!
  • A Good Bad Run Fifteen miles was the target distance for Monday's run, but I was SO not into it. I kept stopping back by the house to check email, pet the dogs, drink some water -- to do anything but keep running! At about mile 12.5 I started feeling shaky and hungry -- yes, low blood sugar! So I came back home and just about called it quits. I mean an almost 13 mile run is good right? And I ran 21 just two days before, so I don't have to run any more, right? Then I thought "This is where the real training takes place!" I got a quick snack and pounded out the last 2-1/2 miles. Was it fun? Heck no! But was it valuable? Absolutely!!! I'm sure there will be low points in the 50 miler, and to have pressed on is excellent training for that.
  • Cirque du Soleil LOVE We'll be in Vegas this weekend for Tucker's Tae Kwon Do tournament and while we're there we're seeing LOVE!!! I've been listening to the soundtrack, which is a remastered mix of Beatles songs, for the last two days.

  • 50 mile thoughts I'm both nervous and excited about the American River 50. It's 3-1/2 weeks away. This weekend I read the 20 page runner's information packet where it talks about things like how to avoid seizures and vomiting. What?!?! Guess there are things that can go wrong when you try to run 50 miles. I'm not at all sure I'll be able to finish, but the things that could cause me to DNF mostly out of my control. So I'll continue to train well, continue to formulate both my nutrition plan and my mental plan for the race, and be happy no matter what happens!
  • Dinner success! Last night's dinner was a Greek salad (romaine, kalamata olives, tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, and Feta with an olive oil + red wine vinegar + fresh lemon juice + oregano + a little mustard dressing) with fresh bread. I also cooked up some chicken for those who wanted to add it, but Tim was the only taker. It felt good to have made something that everyone could enjoy!
  • Daily schedule A few weeks ago I wrote about the Daily Docket I'd found online that I was trying out. Well, I've taken that format and adapted it and it's really making a difference in my days! The form starts with "what's for dinner?", has room for 3 MITs (most important tasks), and has a "for the best possible day" section where you can plan exercise, connection, knowledge, and play! Wish I could post the form (it's a Word doc) but if anyone's interested, leave your email address in the comments and I'll mail you a copy.
  • See Me Run I ordered some reflective iron-on designs so I could jazz up my black running jacket. I'm so happy with how it looks! I got the tribal hearts design and put it on the back. It's a cost-effective way to be safe when running at night.
  • Zen Habits I continue to love Zen Habits! Leo is a wonderful writer, and what he writes makes my days better. For a great overview of his site, I'd recommend buying his eBook, "Zen Habits Handbook for Life." It's worth way more than the $6.95 it costs!

11 comments:

Chrissy said...

wow. what a great mish-mash of a post! i'm curious about the daily schedule document - i'd love to give it a try! my email is christine (dot) hennessey (at) gmail (dot) come. now i'm off to check out see me run - i just started running in the mornings and with the time change, i'm mostly running in the dark. thanks for the links!

Diana said...

Sweet video-classic tunes for sure!
Can't wait to hear how the 50 miler goes, that will be quite an accomplishment!

KatieFeldmom said...

We're going to Vegas in April, but I think hubby wants to see Blue Man Group. And it's his birthday so he gets to pick.

I think you're going to do awesome on the 50!!!

KatieFeldmom said...

Can I see the Word document?
katiebug8257@gmail.com

Aron said...

ohhh that 50 miler is coming up quick!!! :) YAY you will do amazing!

Stacey said...

You're gonna absolutely love "LOVE". I loved it so much that I am going to see it again March 23... can't wait.

Unknown said...

Way to push yourself and finish off that 15 miler, and your Greek salad sounds delish!

Anonymous said...

Good to know things are well with you.

Take care and best wishes.

:-) :-).

Matt

Marathon Maritza said...

Glad you are doing great and building up that mileage!

I saw "Love" last year and it was AH-mazing! You will love it!

Anonymous said...

I'm curious as to how you log your miles -- is it total miles, regardless as to whether you ran them start to finish without stopping? Or do you only count the consecutive miles run? Personally, I guess short walk breaks COULD be considered part of a run (but, for me, I discount them as my total mileage run), but stopping to check email, drink water, etc.? I guess I would look at that as STOPPING. So, I could in good conscience say I ran several shorter mileage runs that equaled a total of 15 miles throughout the day. But, that is me. I am more of a black and white thinker and am hard on myself. I'm wondering if there is a "kinder" way to evaluate running performance, which it sounds like you do.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Curious to see how your jacket turned out. Any way you can post a pic?