Saturday, September 16, 2006

Sometimes fitness hurts!

Went to SST on Wednesday and made it through another workout. It's getting easier, and I'm less sore afterwards, so that's a good thing, right? Well, during this workout we did situps on AbMats, which are curved mats you place under your lower back. Mine kept scooting, but so did everyone else's. We did 150 situps (full situps, not crunches). My tailbone was hurting a little bit, but I didn't pay much attention. Well later when I got in the shower, it felt like a bee was stinging my butt, and I started swatting the air in the shower just in case. After I was fairly certain there was no bee, I took a glance at my rear in the mirror, where I saw two areas that look like skinned knees or bedsores, one on either side of my tailbone! Nothing like this has ever happened to me before! Guess I should have paid attention to the discomfort during sit ups, right?

I worked out with Darla the next day, and told her about it. In a silver lining moment, she told me that if your bodyfat is low, there's not a lot of cushion for your sacrum (tailbone) and this can happen. So, you mean it's a good thing??? :)

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Oh, yeah, that's a good thing. I'm glad to hear you found something you love to do and fulfills you in so many ways.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link on cross-fit. Their dietary recommendations are close to what I do and I have to agree with them that we endurance athletes are pretty unbalanced. I'm staying unbalanced until at least Boston, though. Specialization is necessary right now.

The music on my wife's photo show comes with the PhotoShow software. She picked it from the classical selections, but doesn't really know more about it.