Wednesday, March 21, 2007

So far, so good

Both Monday and today I was at the gym before 6:00 am. I have a great deal of respect for the people who do the early morning workout thing, cuz it's not easy, but I sure liked cruising in the door this morning at 6:50, with a hard workout DONE! Last night I used my Val Slide (a paper plate on carpet, or towel on slidey flooring would work too) to do some squats and lunges, so the sprints of CardioCoach this morning were tough and had my legs feeling like lead. All I can say to that is GOOD!

Eating has been very clean and it feels great. The big question becomes this: why do I reach a tipping point where all of a sudden the temporary pleasure of simple sugars "win" over the longer term satisfaction of balanced eating? (That's a rhetorical question, cuz I know the answer: because I'm human!) But honestly, because simple sugars and refined carbs do such a number on my emotions, I've thought that a way to handle it would be to plan my diet as though I am allergic to candy bars/jellybeans/whatever the treat of the moment happens to be. Or pretend in my mind that I have diabetes, and eat accordingly. But the thing is that I know I'm not REALLY allergic or diabetic.

On another topic, Tucker wants to quit gymnastics because his coach has told him how hard he would have to work to get to the next level, and Tucker doesn't want to work that hard. And I wouldn't have a problem with it, but Tucker seems sad, and I don't know if it's because he thinks we're disappointed or if he's sad for what he's leaving behind or what. I wish kids came with instruction manuals.

No comments: