Monday, July 03, 2006

I just don't get family sometimes

Although our relatives do NOT have this weblog address, I'm going to be careful in how I word what happened last night, just in case ... in case ... well, it's best to be careful. And I know that this is just my perception. So here's the essence of the conversation:

Me: I've decided to run my first marathon this year!
Relative 1: I worry about you at 60 -- how will your knees be?
Relative 2: (grabbing my arm dramatically) Whatever you do, do NOT run on asphalt. I did and now I can barely walk!
Tina (name changed to protect the innocent, but just know that she is 5 years older than I am): I'm going to do the Portland Marathon next year with Team in Training!
Relative 1: Fantastic!
Relative 2: How interesting!

What the heck? Do I put out a feeble vibe? Did I do something to hurt them that I don't know about? Oh well. I did 6 miles this morning, and I ran fast to get back at them. Ha!

3 comments:

Mari said...

Wow you sound like an awesome runner. I was just reading your blog, hope you don't mind. I found my way here through the ever so wonderful Matt. I admire your workouts. Yes you can do 26.2 miles and your training looks on point!
Keep it up,
Mari

Unknown said...

Does not make sense at all....your knees will be nice and strong at 60. I think my knees have gotten stronger from the little bit of running that I do. I injured one when I was a teenager and was told not to run after that, but a year or so ago I realized that was 20+ years ago and maybe I could try. It hasn't been a problem at all and I can tell my knees are much stronger than they used to be when I "babied" them.

Anyway, you're gonna be 60 one day whether you run or not.

Irene said...

People are funny, especially relatives... I went through the same thing when I decided to do weight training and lose 30 pounds. Same thing with running. Everyone thought I was nuts. :) I guess it's just the fuel we need to make us push just THAT much harder. You're awesome!

~Irene