Sunday, July 02, 2006

Let's Talk About Running, Ok?

One of the things I like about me is that I'm really curious. So if I focus my sights on a certain subject, let's say RUNNING, well, I'm not going to rest until I find out as much as I can about it.

So I'm really into running these days. Here are some of the things I've done that relate to running:
  • I've set up a workout and shoe tracker on coolrunning.com so that I can analyze my running and so that I can only put 500 miles on my new shoes. (I have a history of running for who knows how many miles until my feet hurt and my shoes are falling apart before I get new ones.)
  • I'm awaiting two running books (better living through reading about it!) from Amazon.
  • I downloaded some new running songs from iTunes, and also downloaded a Nike/iTunes running workout called Increase Your Speed. I'll let you know how the workout is and how the songs are for running.
  • I've been, slowly but surely, entering the BPMs for all the music on my iPod so that I can do smart playlists, where all the BPMs are the same. So yes, when the kids are playing happily, I sit in front of the computer and listen to 30 second cuts of my favorite songs and count the beats. It's not as awful as it sounds, though, because it's all music I like.
  • I'm awaiting my running skirt. Amazon has spoiled me with their fast shipping, though.
  • Finally, I ordered a runner ID tag to wear on my wrist. When I ran 10 miles the other morning while Tim was golfing and the kids were asleep, it occured to me that if anything happened to me, nobody would know who to contact, and nobody would even know anything had happened for quite some time. My runner ID has my name, city-state-country (they recommend that), contact phone numbers, and yes, it has "Whatever you are, be a good one!" on it!

Final running comment -- last night I went on what was supposed to be a 4 mile recovery run. But Tim, after a day of shoveling crushed walnut shells into the backyard and doing major yardwork, found it in himself to go running too. I'd done 3 miles when I saw him, and couldn't resist his invitation to run together, so I ended up doing 6 miles, bringing my weekly total to (drum roll please...) THIRTY-TWO MILES!!! I'm so happy about that!

Ok, so maybe that wasn't my final running comment, because I have more to say. (This is part of the trouble with summer -- too much time on my hands, and way too much time to think -- I honestly could post stuff 2 - 3 times per day, but then you'd think I was crazy...) I'm putting together my marathon training plan, but the actual training doesn't start for about a month or so (gotta work that out), so my goal right now (thanks OldLobo!) is to increase my base mileage. So the plan for this week is as follows:

Monday: 6 miles

Tuesday: 4 miles

Wednesday: 6 miles

Thursday: cross training

Friday: 10 miles

Saturday: 4 miles

Sunday: rest

That will put my weekly total at 30 miles, which is a good base to start from, don't you think? Ok, is that all? Ummmmm -- well, I guess it is for now! :)

No comments: