Monday, March 31, 2008

My first interview!!!

I can't believe it -- I was contacted by a local radio station to do a Q&A interview on fitness. They taped my segment yesterday and I think it went really well. Here's a transcript of their questions and my answers. Let me know if you happen to hear the broadcast!

Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it... Don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?
A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, which means they take the water out of the fruit so you get even more of the goodness that way. Beer is also made out of grain. Bottoms up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
A: Well, if you have a body and you have fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain...Good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: You're not listening....Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil. In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: Are you crazy? HELLO -- Cocoa BEANS! Another vegetable. It's the best feel-good food around!!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me.

Q: Is getting in shape important for my lifestyle?
A: Hey! 'Round' is a shape! !

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

Happy early April Fool's Day!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the first question, I was thinking okay I haven't seen a lot of Leslie lately maybe she's changed a little or found some new type of research or the more feasible thought - I completely missed what she meant. thank goodness by the 2nd question, I was thinking Leslie's drinking and needs my help, by the 3rd, I finally figured it was a joke. Okay, so I don't catch on too fast. Stacu

Stef said...

OK, I fell for it!!!

=)

KatieFeldmom said...

You had me going until you started talking about the meat. Good one.

Shelly said...

You were joking??!! ah, crap, I'm screwed.

LizN said...

Oh that is just hilarious :)

Hugs
Liz;)

I love the Whale comment!

Irene said...

Good one! As I was reading I kept thinking "Is there something she hasn't told us yet???"

The whale comment is hysterical!!!

Loved this! LOL!

Anonymous said...

hi there

Love your blog. Just wondering how you manage to keep your protein levels up whilst not eating meat, cheese, eggs etc... I am wanting to reduce my meat consumption but also need to make sure i eat enough protein. Any suggestions or sites to check out? Would love to see what a daily menu looks like for you too.:)

Thanks

Jacque

Anonymous said...

Sincerely not trying to butt in here, so sorry if this looks rude, but for a possible second viewpoint, if people need Amino Acid consumption without Meat Poultry, Fish and Dairy, essentially things like

Soybeans or other Soy products like Tofu and Tempeh. (Soy is 33% concentrated Protein. Probably the highest Protein concentration in food).

Hemp sources, second at about 25% Protein

Brown and Wild Rice.

Most Legume sources, including Peanuts and Peas.

Whole-grain has some Aminos in it, and other grains like Rice and Corn.

Low Salt Nuts.

Also Veggies can have tiny amounts too, but don't get hung up on them for Protein.

Essentially though the ones like Rice, Whole-grains, Legumes, (Soybeans excluded), are Complimentary sources and don't possess all the traditional Amino Acids, but as long as you eat the right amounts of Aminos daily, you don't need to combine complimentary sources together.

Again, sorry if this looks like butting in, I don't wish to appear rude or offend Leslie, as I very much respect and value Leslie and anything she says.

P.S. I was probably fooled by this post for a short while, until I saw some of the whack phoney answers :-p :-p.

Best wishes Leslie and take care :-) :-).

Matt

Jennifer said...

Most excellent, Leslie! I got a great laugh.
Jen

Laurie said...

I love it - and I fell for it!